STEM CAMPFrequently Asked Questions
At the Y, we proudly have more than 130 years of experience in providing a safe, thriving environment for young people to explore personal interests, build self-esteem, develop interpersonal skills, discover the creativity & health benefits of the outdoors, and make lasting friendships and memories.
WHAT IS STEM CAMP? HOW DOES IT DIFFER FROM SUMMER CAMP?
This STEM Camp is designed to enrich your child’s understanding of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Your child will participate in hands-on activities at our beautiful camp.
STAFF SELECTION: HOW ARE STAFF MEMBERS SELECTED?
- Each staff member goes through an extensive hiring process including a criminal history background check, reference checks and an interview.
- Each Staff Member receives over 40 hours of training through the YMCA. Staff Training includes coaching in camp program areas, relating to children, licensing policies, health and safety skills and are First Aid and CPR certified.
- All of our Camp Staff members are committed to being positive role models for all campers.
INJURY: WHAT IF MY CHILD IS INJURED AT CAMP?
If your child is injured Y staff will notify you. In case of an emergency, Y staff will:
- Call 911, perform immediate First Aid and contact you. After 911 has been called, the emergency response team will determine next steps.
- If emergency transport is required, a staff member will accompany the child to the hospital, and remain until the parent/guardian arrives.
- If a parent/guardian cannot be reached, we will continue to call those listed on your emergency contact list until contact is made.
WHEN DO I PAY FOR STEM CAMP?
Enrollment fees of $25.00 (for Sessions 1 and 2) or $50.00 (for Sessions 3, 4 and 5) per child are due at the time of enrollment. Please make payment with our office staff.
ARE MEALS PROVIDED?
Meals and snacks are NOT provided. Please send a lunch with your child. Please make sure your child’s lunch does not require refrigeration or needs to be heated. Refigerators and microwaves are not available.
DAYS MISSED/ILLNESS: WHAT IF MY CHILD IS ILL
If your child is ill or must miss camp, please notify us by phone or leave a message on our voicemail.
CANCELLATIONS OR CHANGE: HOW DO I CANCEL OR CHANGE MY CAMPER’S REGISTRATION?
- If you would like to make a cancellation or change to your registration, please submit your request to the camp office at least one week in advance. No refunds or credits will be granted after that deadline.
- Please contact A.J. Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any account questions.
CHILD PICK UP BY ANOTHER: HOW DO I ARRANGE FOR ANOTHER PERSON PICKING UP MY CHILD?
- When you arrange for persons who are not on your authorized pick-up list to pick up your child from camp, you must fill out our Alternate Pick-Up Form and submit to the office.
- Phone calls are not accepted.
- Authorized individuals are responsible for signing your child in and/or out.