CAMP TYCONYFrequently Asked Questions
At the Y, we proudly have more than 130 years of experience in providing a safe, thriving environment for young people to explore personal interests, build self-esteem, develop interpersonal skills, discover the creativity & health benefits of the outdoors, and make lasting friendships and memories.
BAD WEATHER: WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS SEVERE WEATHER?
- Camp is held rain or shine. Fun-filled activies are planned for rainy days.
- Campers must dress accordingly for the weather with appropriate rain gear.
- Activities are motivied outside to fit rainy days and are often held inside rain shelters. Some of the best camp memories for children can be had on rainy days! NOTE: Your child may return home wet and muddy.
- To keep campers safe during extremely hot days, certain activities may be canceled. Campers are consistenly encouraged to drink lots of water and will play more water games and activities in the shade.
STAFF SELECTION: HOW ARE STAFF MEMBERS SELECTED?
- Each staff member goes through an extensive hiring process including a criminal history background check, reference checks and an interview.
- Each Staff Member receives over 40 hours of training through the YMCA. Staff Training includes coaching in camp program areas, relating to children, licensing policies, health and safety skills and are First Aid and CPR certified.
- All of our Camp Staff members are committed to being positive role models for all campers.
ARE MEALS PROVIDED?
No. Children need to bring a healthy lunch from home. Refigerators and microwaves are not available, so please be sure your child’s lunch does not require refrigeration or needs to be heated.
INJURY: WHAT IF MY CHILD IS INJURED AT CAMP?
If your child is injured Y staff will notify you. In case of an emergency, Y staff will:
- Call 911, perform immediate First Aid and contact you. After 911 has been called, the emergency response team will determine next steps.
- If emergency transport is required, a staff member will accompany the child to the hospital, and remain until the parent/guardian arrives.
- If a parent/guardian cannot be reached, we will continue to call those listed on your emergency contact list until contact is made.
WHEN DO I PAY FOR CAMP?
Payments are due in full Fridays by 5:30pm for the following.
SWIMMING: WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT SWIM TIME?
- All campers have the opportunity to swim twice per week at the Downtown Y. We leave Camp Tycony at 1:30pm and return by 3:30pm.
- Trailblazers and Adventurers swim on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- Explorers and Pathfinders swim on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- All campers must complete a swim test on their first day if they do not already have a swim test on file with the YMCA aquatics department. Red band swimmers will wear a lifejacket.
- Camp Staff, along with lifeguards, supervise swim time.
LATE FOR PICK UP: WHAT IF I’M LATE PICKING UP MY CAMPER?
All campers are to be picked up no later than 6:00pm. Beginning at 6:01pm, we will charge $1.00 per minute per child until the child is picked up. Late pick-up fees are due in full prior to your child’s return to Camp Tycony. At 6:45pm, if the child has not been picked up, the YMCA will alert the Howard County Sheriff’s Department. After three late pick-ups, your family will be dismissed from the program.
LOST AND FOUND: WHERE DO I LOOK FOR LOST ITEMS?
- Check with our office staff for lost items. Lost items are held for a week past the end of camp in July, and then donated to charity.
- Families may search lost and found for lost items on family nights or during pick-up/drop-off.
- We will do our best to help campers remember their things.
- The YMCA is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
WHAT KIND OF ACTIVITIES WILL MY CHILD PARTICIPATE IN EACH WEEK?
Click HERE for Theme Weeks and a list of camp activities!
DAYS MISSED/ILLNESS: WHAT IF MY CHILD IS ILL
If your child is ill or must miss camp, please notify us by phone or leave a message on our voicemail.
CANCELLATIONS OR CHANGE: HOW DO I CANCEL OR CHANGE MY CAMPER’S REGISTRATION?
- If you would like to make a cancellation or change to your registration, please submit your request to the camp office at least one week in advance. No refunds or credits will be granted after that deadline.
- Please contact A.J. Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any account questions.
CHILD PICK UP BY ANOTHER: HOW DO I ARRANGE FOR ANOTHER PERSON PICKING UP MY CHILD?
- When you arrange for persons who are not on your authorized pick-up list to pick up your child from camp, you must fill out our Alternate Pick-Up Form and submit to the office.
- Phone calls are not accepted.
- Authorized individuals are responsible for signing your child in and/or out.
Pre and Post Camp
Pre-Camp runs from 7:00am to 9:00am and Post-Camp runs from 4:00pm to 5:30pm. Pre and Post Camp are available to families at no additional cost.
WHAT TO BRING TO CAMP TYCONY?
Click HERE for a list of what to bring and what to keep at home for camp!
WHAT IS THE YMCA DOING TO PROTECT CHILD DURING THIS UNPRECEDENTED TIME?
Click HERE for our COVID-19 Policy and Procedures!