WINTER CAMPFrequently Asked Questions
At the Y, we proudly have more than 130 years of experience in providing a safe, thriving environment for young people to explore personal interests, build self-esteem, develop interpersonal skills, discover the creativity & health benefits of the outdoors, and make lasting friendships and memories.
WHEN IS WINTER CAMP?
DATES: We will be holding Winter Camp on December 20-29, 2023 (closed on Monday, Dec. 25)
HOURS: 6:30 am-6:00 pm
ARE MEALS PROVIDED?
No. Campers need to bring a healthy lunch from home. Refrigerators and microwaves are not available, so please be sure your child’s lunch does not require refrigeration or needs to be heated.
WHERE DO I REGISTER FOR WINTER CAMP?
Registration for Winter Camp will be online only. You can register here!
WHEN DO I PAY FOR CAMP?
Camp fees are due in full at least 24 hours before your child’s first day of camp.
WHAT KIND OF ACTIVITIES WILL MY CHILD PARTICIPATE IN EACH WEEK?
Your camper will have the opportunity to participate in various activities (weather-permitting), including archery, canoeing and kayaking, hiking, and sports games, along with extra-special Christmas-themed activities.
INJURY: WHAT IF MY CHILD IS INJURED AT CAMP?
If your child is injured Y staff will notify you. In case of an emergency, Y staff will:
- Call 911, perform immediate First Aid and contact you. After 911 has been called, the emergency response team will determine next steps.
- If emergency transport is required, a staff member will accompany the child to the hospital, and remain until the parent/guardian arrives.
- If a parent/guardian cannot be reached, we will continue to call those listed on your emergency contact list until contact is made.
WILL THERE BE SWIMMING AT WINTER CAMP?
There will be no swimming during Winter Camp!
LATE FOR PICK UP: WHAT IF I’M LATE PICKING UP MY CAMPER?
- If you are late for pick up, we will attempt to reach you by phone/cell.
- If you are not reached, we will call persons listed as emergency contacts.
- If it is after 6:00pm a late charge of $1 per minute per child will be assessed.
- After 1 hour the authorities will be called to ensure the safety of your child.
LOST AND FOUND: WHERE DO I LOOK FOR LOST ITEMS?
- Check with the Camp Staff for lost items. Lost items are held for a week past the end of camp in July, and then donated to charity.
- Families may search lost and found for lost items on family nights or during pick-up/drop-off.
- We will do our best to help campers remember their things.
- The Y is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
WINTER CAMP PRICING
Member and Non-Member pricing:
$30.00/day for YMCA Members
$35.00/day for Community Members
AGES FOR CAMPERS
AGES: 6 years old through 14 years old
DAYS MISSED/ILLNESS: WHAT IF MY CHILD IS ILL
If your child is ill or must miss camp, please notify us by phone or leave a message on our voicemail.
CANCELLATIONS OR CHANGE: HOW DO I CANCEL OR CHANGE MY CAMPER’S REGISTRATION?
Know that once you have paid for camp in full there are no refunds, so be sure of your plans.
CHILD PICK UP BY ANOTHER: HOW DO I ARRANGE FOR ANOTHER PERSON PICKING UP MY CHILD?
- When you arrange for persons who are not on your “authorized to transport” list to pick up your child from camp, you must send a written permission slip.
- Phone calls are not accepted.
- Authorized individuals are responsible for signing your child in and/or out.
WHAT ARE CAMP HOURS?
Camp hours this year will be: 6:30 am-6:00 pm
WHAT TO BRING TO CAMP TYCONY?
Click HERE for a list of what to bring and what to keep at home for camp!
STAFF SELECTION: HOW ARE STAFF MEMBERS SELECTED?
- Each staff member goes through an extensive hiring process including a criminal history background check, reference checks and an interview.
- Each Staff Member receives over 40 hours of training through the YMCA. Staff Training includes coaching in camp program areas, relating to children, licensing policies, health and safety skills and are First Aid and CPR certified.
- All of our Camp Staff members are committed to being positive role models for all campers.
BAD WEATHER: WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS SEVERE WEATHER?
- Camp is held rain, snow or shine. Fun-filled activies are planned for rainy days.
- Campers must dress accordingly for the weather with appropriate rain gear.
- Activities may be inside or outside during our winter camp. Your child may return home wet and muddy.
- Make sure you dress your camper according to the weather!